Skip to main content

What visa do I need to live in Bali?


Currently you can arrive in Bali (Ngurah Rai International Airport, Denpasar) and pay for the 30 day visa on arrival which can be extended for another 30 days and then you must leave Indonesia. The eVOA (electronic VOA) can now be obtained BEFORE arrival. Simply apply via immigration website:

However, if you wish to stay longer than 60 days in Bali, you are going to want to organise a visa that gives you more time and flexibility. 

I understand there is a lot of information out there when it comes to finding the right visa to live longer term in Bali, and it has been a confusing topic for many. So much of the information online is not up to date and get very frustrating. It doesn’t have to be, and below I break down the various visas that you may consider.  In any case, when you work with me, I have excellent visa agents who can further advise, quote and issue your visa online hassle-free.

From working remotely, to studying, having a gap year, to investing, there is a visa for everyone and I am going to keep it simple by providing you information on the Second-home visa,  B211A tourist visa, and a variety of KITAS. My clients are usually looking for a visa for either 3 months, 6 months, 1-2 years, retirement and indefinite stays in Bali, and there is a solution for all of them.

Visas are issued electronically, so there is no need to attend an embassy with your passport to collect a visa. Paid online and they will be emailed or sent via WhatsApp.

There will always be changes to regulations (i.e. offshore versus onshore), requirements (documents to present like proof of villa address, investment, passport validity, insurance, flight details etc.) and fees, so best to get my visa agents to answer any questions you have and give you the most cost-effective solution.

Can I live in Bali and still work remotely?

Yes, if you want to work online (earn an income from outside of Indonesia) and live in Bali for an extended period of time, there are a few visa options for you. 

For remote work (i.e. a digital nomad) and living more than 60 days in Indonesia, allows you to choose between the B211A tourist visa (up to 180 days stay in Indonesia), C14 Sponsored Investment and C317 Dependent KITAS (1-2 years stay in Indonesia). There is also the 212 Multiple Entry visa, however this allows you to only stay up to 60 days in Indonesia at a time. The 212 would be a nice option for FIFO worker (Fly in Fly Out workers).

B211A Single Entry visa

This visa is applied to those who will visit Indonesia for the purpose of official government activities, tourism, social and cultural activities, sport, business and commercial activities, family visit, journalistic activities, or transit. As mentioned above, you can currently work remotely on this visa (picture those awesome co-working hubs, working from your villa or at a cafe). It allows you to arrive in Bali with 60 days, and then you have the opportunity to do two more 60 day extensions, in total, giving you 180 days stay in Bali (60 x 3). After 180 days, you need to leave Indonesia and reapply for a new visa. Many take the opportunity to do a short trip exploring South East Asia and visit places like Singapore and Thailand. Or perhaps you wish to visit Western Australian (3 hr 45 mins flight time) or need to come back to your home country for work or family purposes. 

So in a scenario where you wish to live in Bali for 12 months, you could enjoy the B211 single entry visa twice over (i.e. 180 days x 2) but just remember you need to leave Indonesia after 180 days and reapply. If you wish to stay longer than 1 year this can be repeated. 

The initial 60 day payment to start the visa is at a slightly higher cost than each 60 day extension. This visa takes approx 5-7 days to be processed.

What is the criteria of the B211A tourist visa?

This single-entry visa includes sponsorship through a visa agent. Your passport needs to be valid for 12 months at a minimum. You cannot apply for a B211A while in Indonesia after arriving on a VOA, you must apply for it outside of Indonesia and have the B211 visa issued to you before entering the country.

Is there a digital nomad visa?

For a long time there has been a lot of talk about a digital nomad visa and many people are asking for it and are waiting for it to happen. However, there is nothing in the near future that tell us it is coming. Not to worry, digital nomads are still enjoying their best Bali life, holding other visas such as the B211A tourist visa and Multiple entry KITAS.

If you are interested in working remotely and seeking the optimal solution to meet your needs, I can certainly help you not only obtain your visa but also gain a comprehensive understanding of various aspects of expat life, including cost of living, housing, transportation, insurance, and more.

Tell me about the different types of kitas

Depending how long you stay, your particular needs and if you need to come and go from Indonesia, then a KITAS may be better suited to you. They give you a lot more flexibility to come and go from Indonesia.

There is an C314 Sponsored Investment KITAS (Valid 1 & 2 years option – Multiple Entry) and C317 Dependent KITAS (Valid 1 year – Multiple Entry), Student KITAS, Retirement KITAS and Working KITAS (Full Sponsorship, depending on work category). 

What are some of the benefits of having a KITAS?

– Leave Indonesia as many times as you want during the visa period

– You can be quicker in the immigration line (KITAS holder line) every time you are at the airport – avoid the tourists!

– Your immigration visit is done once for fingerprints and photo and no more trips and extensions within the visa period (set and forget)

– Enjoy better prices and discounts for KITAS holders at places like gyms, yoga clubs, attractions, accommodation and more

– Your first KITAS applied for offshore can also get you VIP airport service so you can go through immigration even quicker

– KITAS holders can also organise insurance policies with local Balinese agents who represent major worldwide insurance companies like Allianz and Prudential (tends to be very cost-effective as opposed to an international policy)

– A child can attend any school they want in Bali

– Open a local bank account (enjoy the banking app and pay for local utilities, Go Jek, local businesses, phone credit etc)

– The ability to buy items like a scooter or car in your name as you will be required to have a KITAS (plus another document called a SKTT)

Student KITAS

Some international schools require their students to be on a Student KITAS (a visa that states they are a student studying full-time in Indonesia). 

These are issued for one year and are renewable each year during the study period. The school has their legal department so they will organise this visa for your child.  The school will take your child to immigration for an ID check by using their own visa agent. Understand as the parents, you will still have to organise your own personal visas separately.

Can you process a visa or KITAS for me and how long does it take?

Yes, I can introduce you to my trusted visa and business agents, who are very easy to deal with, provide you with the most up to date visa requirements and prices. Depending which visa you require, they can process both while in Bali (onshore) and overseas (offshore). Processing time varies on the visa you need and ranges from 5-10 days (B211 single entry visa) to one month (KITAS). Processing times can also be affected if there is a problem with the immigration system and holiday closures.

Do you have to be married when you are on a dependent KITAS?

Yes, this applies for when families wish to be dependent to the person holding the Investment Multiple KITAS. If you are not married, couples can proof that they are de facto. You can apply for a de facto document with the Government. For example, you can apply for this at the Births, Deaths and Marriages department. 

Second-home visa for Bali foreigners

To coincide with November’s G20 Summit in Nusa Dua in Bali, The Director General of Immigration announced on 25th October 2022, that the second-home visa would be available from 24 December 2022. The second-home visa is intended for foreigners who plan to stay for a long time and contribute to the Indonesian economy. It is a visa suitable for people who are professionals and retirees. 

What is the criteria of the second-home visa?

This visa is granted for foreign nationals to enter and stay in Indonesia for 5 years and they can also sponsor family members. You are not able to work in Indonesia on this visa.

You must meet the criteria to be able to apply:

 – Proof of funds of at least 2 billion Indonesian rupiah in an Indonesia Bank Account (done once you arrive and open a bank account)


– Proof of luxury real estate in Indonesia (category in the name of a foreigner in accordance with the legislation in the land/agrarian sector).

– Minimum of 36 months validity on Passport 

What are the details of the retirement visa?

The retirement KITAS (319) has changed the minimum age requirements from age 55 years to 60 years. It is intended for foreign nationals who are no longer working and want to retire in Bali.  It is valid for 1 Year with Multiple Entry and is renewable every year. This visa needs to be applied onshore in Bali so you need to arrive on a B211 single entry visa to begin. The processing time for a retirement KITAS is approximately 4 weeks. Renewals need to be processed within 1-3 months of your Kitas expiry date and are a lot cheaper that your first initial KITAS.

Once you are on a Retirement KITAS who can apply for local BPJS insurance. You can also import personal belongings with a KITAS. 

The application also requires the following:

  • Lease contract for a minimum of 12 months and copy of owners ID card
  • Local ID of 2 Home assistant (signed letter which I will arrange when you’re in Bali)
  • Bank account statement with a minimum balance of 200 Million IDR from your country’s bank
  • Health Insurance to cover a 1 year period
  • You need to have 18 months minimum left on your passport

Do I need to be vaccinated to enter Bali, Indonesia?

As of 10 June 2023, you no longer need to be vaccinated to enter Bali. The government still recommends that you have two COVID shots but it is not required anymore. Indonesia has now been added to the IATA website as a country accepting unvaccinated arrivals.

Can I swap between visas?

Yes you can change from the B211 tourist visa to a KITAS for example if you wish to stay longer and allow yourself multiple entry. There are onshore processing times and costs associated. There is always a solution and we can work the best visa for your circumstance and requirements. Feel free to reach out anytime to discuss your travel plans and commitments.

Ready to get started?

Book a free discovery call to learn more about how we can help you feel confident about a move to Bali.

Leave a Reply